How to Make a Hologram Using Mirror?
Don’t be scared after looking at the heading! I am not going to give a lecture on Physics. I will show you 1 simple technique of making a hologram. You can consider this as a DIY project. You don’t need to keep significant equations or calculations in your mind about hologram and how to make it. The simple technique is called the mirror process. All you need to do is, learn about simple basics on the hologram and follow step by step to achieve your goal. As I said, it is simple to make, easy to understand, and your confidence will boost up after completing it. So, why doing late! Let’s start
What is a Hologram?
A hologram is a process to create any kind of image that uses a light diffraction method. The image may appear as a three-dimensional image.
The process of making a hologram is well known as Holography. Now, you will wonder when you will learn that a device doesn’t work here to create an image. Generally, a hologram is a photographic recording of a light field. There are two types of the hologram. They are
i) Reflection hologram: The most common types of the hologram that is being used at art galleries. This hologram provides an actual 3-dimensional image near its surface. Currently, color is being used to make and display this hologram. The images are optically blurry from the real objects.
ii) Transmission Hologram: To view a typical transmission hologram, laser light is a piece of necessary equipment. Transmission hologram focused on the back of a hologram for transmitting the image to the side of the observer. The virtual impression mostly has a lot of depth and sharpness.
Between these two types of holograms, there are other types also have. They are embossed holograms-used in the passport, currency, credit cards; integral holograms-helps to create an accurate display of photographs of a specific object; holographic interferometry, multichannel holograms, computer-generated holograms-especially used in CD.
Hologram technology is widely used by the healthcare industry, to make high-tech security items and to provide entertainment, gaming area, in the classroom, and many other regions where hologram technology has become part of their work.
How Hologram Works?
As said earlier, hologram technology creates three-dimensional image and anybody can see this image without using any special equipment or lenses. From any angle, a person can view this image. So, as the user moves around the image, the image will also appear to move and shift its position convincingly.
Generally, a holographic image can be stable, like a picture on a product or an animated character where sequences are there, and multiple people can view the style from a different viewpoint.
Over the last few years, hologram technology has gone through several advancements. This upgraded technology increasingly accepted by the modern technology industry and is projected to become even more extensive in the future.
Now, we have already learned about how hologram technology works, and below we will go through the impact of hologram technology in different sectors.
1. The healthcare sector: Imagine a doctor is prescribing you looking at the 3D image of your inner body. Won’t you be surprised? Very soon you will experience this kind of situation undoubtedly. Modern imaging techniques like MRI, CT scan is providing data that can simply be decoded into digital information. Usually, doctors are reviewing these data on computer screens in 2D formats. Medical hologram technology will provide a precise 3D image of your internal organs, and a doctor can examine any diseases or injuries by looking at that image more accurately. This image will lead a doctor to a perfect diagnosis of the illness.
This technology also can be used to do surgical pre-planning. Before doing any incision, a surgeon can visualize the detailed sequence of the application.
2. Security sector: Do you know you are carrying a holographic image with you daily? I am sure; you stopped twinkling. Simply open your wallets or your identity card. All types of banknotes, credit cards, as well as your identity card manufacturers started implementing security holograms in current years. One can’t easily forge a banknote nowadays and even to do this expensive equipment required. Security holograms are offering security with different features like the full-colored and three-dimensional photo, sequential displays, unique personalized text, and serial numbers, and these security codes are quite challenging to break. Thus, your private and essential belongings remain secure.
3. Entertainment and gaming sector: Modern film industry is profoundly affected by holographic technology. Did you enjoy the Indian movie named “Lage Raho Munna Vai”? In this movie, famous Indian actor Sunil Dutt portrayed as the father of the leading role. Surprising is, Sunil Dutt died in 2005, and this movie started shooting after his death. The director used holographic technology to shoot Sunil Dutt’s cameo role.
Also, almost every movie is now releasing in the Hollywood industry and is available in 3D too. Blockbuster movies named Star Wars, Ready Player One are mostly done using holographic technology.
One of the most noticeable uses of this technology in recent years has been its use in concerts. Top performers from the past can be brought back to life to perform once again, and even sharing the stage with modern artists.
Smartphone manufacturers are also incorporating this technology into the next generation of smartphone displays, that will allow handy 3D gaming.
3. Education sector: Holographic technology will play a vital role in the development of the education experience. This technology will enable students to interact fully with education. Interactive digital lessons will become more attractive than traditional readings, and students will attend their classes regularly to be a part of this tremendous experience.
Subjects like history can be taught using holography, where students can virtually travel the ruins of an antique building.
How to Make a Hologram with Mirror?
Do you want to make a hologram with a mirror at your home? It is easier than your imagination. A lot of students, teachers, or hobbyists are making hologram as a part of their project, workplace, or homework. Making a hologram using a mirror will teach you about light reflection and photography. I said at the beginning; I will not share the big physics theory. Making a hologram is very simple and tricky, as well. Using only mirrors and other materials, you can make a simple hologram.
· Helium-neon laser (1 to 10 MW) with a stable mount.
· 1 concave FS (front side) mirror (about 15mm focal length) with a stable mount.
· 1 flat transfer FS mirror with a stable mount.
· 1 holographic plate with a stable mount.
· White card (shutter).
· Subject (any small object) with a stable mount.
· Optical table.
· ‘Safe’ green light.
· Three 5×7 trays.
· Developer (for developing the holographic image).
· Gloves made of rubber.
Select a room with no air and vibrant interference and place the optical table there. Use any stable table and add sides to it using wood, and now fill the surrounding area of the table with sand to work as a safeguard of any potential vibration.
The next step is to make a holographic assembly. Turn on darkroom light. While setting up the concave mirror, make sure the middle point of the mirror is at the same altitude as the laser beam (laser is set behind the object). Set up the flat transfer mirror, so the beam, heading from the concave mirror, hits the flat mirror behind the object. The holographic plate needs to be placed in such a way so that it fully cast in light from the reflection of the beam from the flat mirror. It’s time to block the beam. To do so, you need to set up the white card in front of the laser.
Now, represent the image. Being considerably careful not to create any vibration, or let anything brush against your setup because everything is almost ready to serve the holograph. You need to ensure a few things now. Let the green light on, turn off-balance all lights and make sure that the sticky side of the holographic place is facing your subject, which is placed in between the flat mirror reflection and the object. Firmly lift the card (that is obstructing the beam) off its support, still blocking the beam, don’t remove it, and hold it again for 30 to 60 seconds minimum. Lift the card to reveal the beam and keep it in the same position, with the laser beam exposed, for 6 to 10 seconds.
Develop hologram. Label developer tray and bleach tray. Fill each tray bestowing to the label. Now create a solution, 50ml (a) + 50ml (b) + 50ml-distilled water and mixture has to be really perfect. Place uncovered holograph plate into the developer tray. Every after two minutes, lift one side of the tray and agitate the liquid. You will find that the exposed plate is getting dark slowly. In the sink, put the developed plate inside a container. Ensure that the container that is deep and narrow enough, and the plate should not be placed horizontally. Run water over the plate for the next three minutes.
Bleach developed hologram. With about 150 ml of bleach in the next tray, place developed plate, and agitate it as like Step 4. Agitate it until all dark is washed off and continue agitating more 30 seconds. Again follow step 4 to wash it. A third tray is required for photo-flow, and following the directions on the bottle, dip developed, bleached and washed hologram in the tray. Drain the plate and blot with a lint-free rag. Instantly, sweeping motion uses a hairdryer in a warm setting. Don’t forget to dry the plate completely.
Now your home-made holographic technology is ready to be utilized.
Advantages and disadvantages of Hologram!
Next, we will find out the advantages and disadvantages of hologram from below
1. You may think this technology as expensive, but surprisingly it is a cost-effective technology to make and hire.
2. Data storage capacity is comparatively high than other methods.
3. It provides improving the feasibility of objects, including depth.
4. It maintains an intricate pattern to make security stronger than earlier.
5. It can create multiple images on a single plate, including 3D photos.
6. If you are thinking of combining this technology with other technologies, say “welcome” to your thoughts.
7. Don’t need any special equipment to look at.
8. Multiple viewers can look at from any viewpoint.
9. It is not preferable to use on any projection screen.
10. Replication is not possible as the system itself complex that one can’t transpose this.
11. Computer-generated holograms can be made, sent, received, and displayed using the technology.
12. It has numerous function competency and wavelength selectivity.
13. It offers design flexibility and ease of replication.
1. Compared to 2D projection, the holographic item’s production cost is very high.
2. If you are under fluorescent lighting, you will be unable to look hologram photography. So, it is advised to look at in a dark room.
3. The use of smearing the idea of holographic outcrop in the design of products is expensive.
4. It is a time-consuming project.
5. Holographic data storing agonizes from sound and sensitivity problems. Moreover, materials are significantly limited in this process.
6. This system is hard to implement on a small screen.
Holography is a silent technology that assists an infinite number of applications. Hologram technology made us surprised with their ability. This application is changing lives, saving lives, and motivating creative and intellectual discussion.